What experience do you have in providing counseling?
I have provided counseling and psychotherapy in the greater Madison Wisconsin area since 1986.
My experience includes work as:
- A psychotherapist in a community mental health setting for four years
- An independent psychotherapist in private practice since 1988
- A counselor in Domestic Abuse programs with victims, perpetrators, and families for 15 years
- A counselor in an Alcohol/Drug Affected Family Member program in a small town/rural setting for four years
- An Alcohol and Drug assessment counselor for adolescents for three years.
What is your personal approach as a psychotherapist?
I believe in the value of every person and my counseling is grounded in that belief. I am client-centered which means I compassionately listen to clients and assist them in developing their goals. I differ from many counselors in that I use a variety of therapeutic techniques and theories. Psychotherapy is a teamwork process wherein deep listening occurs. This process stimulates the enhancement of personal strengths and empowerment to reach personal goals. Counseling issues can be either mental health disorders or personal growth issues.
I believe in integrating clients’ values into their psychotherapy, whether they are independent personal values or those closely associated with a specific spiritual/religious tradition. Effective psychotherapists utilize these strengths to increase overall mental health and well-being.
I use my mental health training and experience to assess each person and identify the most helpful approaches in achieving each individual’s counseling goals. I am committed to informed decision-making by each client, and give my recommendations without judgment or pressure.
What are your Psychotherapist Credentials?
- MSSW – Masters of Science in Social Work from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI in 1986.
Mental Health Center of Dane County, Alcohol/Drug and Adult Clinical Services Units, Madison, WI
Family Service, Alternatives to Aggression Program, Madison, Wisconsin
- Internship at Northwoods Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Bemidji, Minnesota, 1982
- BA – Bachelors in Psychology from St. Andrews Presbyterian College in Laurinburg, North Carolina – 1971.
- 1986 – current: Ongoing participation in clinical conferences and coursework for counseling and psychotherapy for depression, anxiety, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, personality disorders, relationship counseling, and related issues
Licenses and Certifications
- Wisconsin Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) – License # 1356-123
- Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Level 2 Certification
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)